nm with caching nameserver?

What needs to be done so that nm will work with name lookup caching?  I'm
testing on FC5.  I can run caching-nameserver, but nm seems to overwrite
resolv.conf from dhcp and remove referenece to 127.0.0.1.

Is there a lighter approach to caching name lookups?  I could also try nscd,
but in the past this has produced bad results - nscd has been too
aggressive about caching and has not updated when machines changed IPs.