Re: vpnc and nm-applet

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 21:20 -0500, Brian Magnuson wrote:
> A couple of things I've noticed:
>
> Under KDE nm-applets icon isn't always fully initilized.  Often times it's
> "there" but "not there".  Meaning that a space is being comsumed in the
> notification area but there's nothing there that responds to clicks.  Killing
> nm-applet and restaring it usually takes care of this.  I think I also managed
> to make it appear once by hiding the panel and the exposing it, but that
> hasn't been repeatable.
>
> Secondly, I got the vpnc plugin to appear to work.  The tun device gets
> created and it has the right IP address.  What didn't happen is that the DNS
> and route information didn't get processed.  How can I make that happen?  Does
> NM even try to make use of /etc/vpnc/vpnc-script (or equivilent)?

Nope.  NM executes nm-vpnc-service, which itself executes vpnc directly.
NM tells vpnc to use a different script, nm-vpnc-service-helper, that
passes the tunnel's information back to NM.

a) run NetworkManager with "--no-daemon"
b) as root, run nm-vpnc-service
c) try to connect the vpn
d) grab the logs from both NM and nm-vpnc-service and attach them to a
mail