Re: NM tidbits

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 19:11 -0400, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > 'Enable Networking' does supersede 'Enable Wireless' in all cases except
> > where you want to disable scanning, but not all networking.  I think
> > this is a valid use case.
> >
> > Disabling all networking has two primary uses: As a "lock down" or
> > "flight mode" and in the case of performing a clean disconnect.  A clean
> > disconnect might be nice if using a docking station, for example.
>
> Is there a chance of getting the option to selectively disable
> interfaces? ie I have two wireless cards and only want one of them used,
> for some reason I want to disable my wired card, but not wireless,
> whatever.

That will likely not be done through the applet, but through the
system's standalone network config tools like system-config-network
(Fedora), YaST (SUSE), etc.  The applets themselves aren't really meant
to expose the entire configuration, but just the stuff you'd use on a
daily (or semi-daily) basis.  Robert added the facility to have NM
ignore interfaces last week or so, and it's been hooked up on at least
SUSE so far (though not on Fedora quite yet).  I'm unsure of the status
of Debian, Gentoo, or Slackware in this regard.