Re: FC5, NetworkManager, Client Certificates

Darren Albers wrote:
> The EAP configs in Network-Manager map to the same in WPA_Supplicant
> so man wpa_supplicant.conf would provide some information.
> Additionally Network-Manager isn't doing anything unusual or special
> so specific documentation regarding the various EAP wouldn't really be
> exceptionally helpful except in cases where the field names chosen
> don't correspond to what other supplicants have chosen but in my
> experience they match in most cases.  I was able to configure PEAP on
> Network Manager as easily as I configured it on Odyssey and I suspect
> that in enterprise deployments the admin's will document this all for
> the users and not require them to guess at the fields.
>
> To answer your specific questions, I assume that you are using EAP-TLS.
> When you generate a cert for a user you generate a public and private
> key.  The cert itself is the public key (the pem file).  The Private
> key password is only needed if you created the private key with a
> password or passphrase (This is recommended by the way so the loss of
> the private key doesn't compromise anything else).   So you need to
> private key, but not necessarily the passphrase.  The private key is
> used to encrypt the data and the public key is passed to the server so
> that it can use it to decrypt the data.  The reason you don't need the
> private key on windows is because that key is stored withing the
> windows certificate store.  If you need more background on that
> specific area there is a wealth of information available on PKI and I
> can provide you with some great links.
>
>>From then on the transaction occurs just like any other PKI
> transactions, the private key is used to encrypt the data and the
> public key is exchanged between the two to decrypt the data.  This
> connection is used to exchange dynamic WEP or WPA keys and the
> Wireless connection is brought up.
>
> Does that help answer your question?

Yes, thank you!  That explains the problem I am having - I'll need to
export a public key as well.

I definitely think there should be a FAQ entry about this, or just a
quick explanation when you hover over the fields that describes exactly
what that field is for.  I had the hardest time trying to Google
anything useful!

Thanks again!

Nolan