Re: eth0 and wlan0 keep falling back to zeroconf

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 17:34 -0500, Steev Klimaszewski wrote:

> <lots of snippage>
>
> Hey Benj, sorry to hear that you are still having problems, a quick
> once over of the logs you attached, makes me believe that the -r6 that
> VidaLinux is installing didn't have the patches applied for extended
> options.  While VidaLinux is based on Gentoo, I am not sure exactly
> how they are setup - would you mind emailing me (offlist) and attach
> (not inline) your /etc/make.conf file - i would like to see their
> setup of their overlay, and I could tell you a little more about what
> is going on.  Also, I am not sure about the bcm43xx, I know that one
> of my testers has one, but I can't recall him ever connecting with it
> properly, something about needing to run a command first before it can
> be used, and NM Dispatcher wasn't doing it properly (I must admit that
> I don't quite know how to use the dispatcher just yet, been doing the
> research, but I have other apps that I have to take care of before NM,
> so it does sit on the backburner sometimes)  as to eth0 taking too
> long, I believe its the dhcp patch not being applied.  I noticed that

There appear to be two problems with that log:

a) The wireless card isn't reporting successful authentication.  Might
be good to try wpa_supplicant on its own and see if that connects.  That
requires writing a config file for it and running it with a bunch of
debug options to see what it's doing, much like NM does.  But this
isolates the bug between NM and wpa_supplicant.

b) The dhclient isn't accepting the DBus option, which means it and
dhclient-script need to be patched for dbus