Compilation failure under Debian

running ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc it fails with:

Checking for required M4 macros...
  libtool.m4 not found
  glib-gettext.m4 not found
  intltool.m4 not found
  pkg.m4 not found
Checking for forbidden M4 macros...
***Error***: some autoconf macros required to build NetworkManager
  were not found in your aclocal path, or some forbidden
  macros were found.  Perhaps you need to adjust your
  ACLOCAL_FLAGS?

However, I am certain that libtool.m4, glib-gettext.m4, intltool.m4, and
pkg.m4 are on the system.  Earlier output from autogen.sh confirms that
the required libs are present:

REQUIRED_AUTOCONF_VERSION=2.53
REQUIRED_AUTOMAKE_VERSION=1.7
REQUIRED_DOC_COMMON_VERSION=2.3.0
REQUIRED_GETTEXT_VERSION=0.12
REQUIRED_GLIB_GETTEXT_VERSION=2.2.0
REQUIRED_GNOME_DOC_UTILS_VERSION=0.3.2
REQUIRED_GTK_DOC_VERSION=1.0
REQUIRED_INTLTOOL_VERSION=0.30
REQUIRED_LIBTOOL_VERSION=1.5
REQUIRED_M4MACROS=' libtool.m4 glib-gettext.m4 intltool.m4 pkg.m4'
REQUIRED_PKG_CONFIG_VERSION=0.14.0

I grepped through the source to find ACLOCAL_FLAGS and could not find
it.  I also couldn't find exactly where the "Checking for required M4
macros..." checks were being done.