Re: IPW2200 not Showing Signal Strength

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 16:57 -0500, Paul Dugas wrote:
> Been using NM for a while now on my FC3 machine and love it.  Got an issue
> with my IPW2200 card and a couple questions.
>
> First the problem...   When I first started using NM, I was getting a bar
> next to the SSID in the left-click menu of the status panel icon.  At some
> point, it stopped showing and now all I get is a box with a black border.
> The status panel icon *does* change to show signal strength as I move
> around so I expect the data is available.  Not fatal but I wonder why this
> isn't working as expected.  BTW: I see the same behavior on my home and
> office APs.

What version of the ipw2200 driver are you using?  We tightened up what
NM accepts for signal quality values to match the actual kernel driver
specification, but many drivers are broken right now and need to be
fixed.  Bill Moss submitted a patch against ipw2200 drivers that's been
accepted and applied to fix that driver, but its only in the latest
versions I think.  Otherwise, we'll need to do a bit more debugging.

> Another...  I've been trying to build from CVS for some time now and have
> been getting errors about implicit declarations of dbus_message_iter_*
> routines.  What version of dbus do I need to be able to build from CVS?

You'll need to pull from CVS using this command:

cvs -z3 co -rSTABLE_0_3 NetworkManager

since HEAD now compiles against dbus-0.3 and hal-0.5.  FC3 doesn't ship
with those versions of dbus and hal, but I branched NM right before the
changes went in to HEAD.