NM_Main 1.320 report

IBM T42, Intel Pro 2200BG
FC4
kernel-2.6.11-1.1177
dbus-0.31-4 hal-0.5.0.cvs20050322b-1
hal-gnome-0.5.0.cvs20050322b-1

With our without a wire plugged in, NM connects to my home and office wireless networks on boot. The office network is hidden.

The context menu item "Stop All Wireless Networks" works. I can put NM to sleep and wake it up.

NM does not seem to be able to bring up the wired network on its own. If I do 'ifconfig eth0 up' then NM takes over and configures the wired network.

NM does not seem to be able to determine the active device. My wireless device is not marked as active but it is working fine. An artifact of this bug is that hovering over the panel icon always shows 100% link quality (the error value of -1 CLAMPED between 0 and 100). 'iwconfig eth1' shows the correct link quality.

The progress bar for the wireless network works fine. I patched the ipw2200 driver so that it returns signal quality for scanned AP's using the same formula that is used for associated AP's. This makes the hover values and the progress bar more consistent.

I tried NM_MAIN 1.320 with FC4-kernel-2.6.11-1.1208. I got an dbus policy error when NM tried to start. The syslog output follows.

[root localhost NetworkManager]# NetworkManager --no-daemon
NetworkManager: <information>   starting...
NetworkManager: <WARNING> (): nm_dbus_init() could not acquire its service. dbus_bus_acquire_service() says: 'Connection ":1.26" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" due to security policies in the configuration file' NetworkManager: <ERROR> [1112068161.412073] (): nm_dbus_init() failed, exiting. Either dbus is not running, or the NetworkManager dbus security policy was not loaded.
NetworkManager: traceback:
NetworkManager:         NetworkManager [0x805acf1]
NetworkManager: /lib/tls/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xc6) [0x356db6]
NetworkManager:         NetworkManager [0x804c3f1]
Trace/breakpoint trap

--
Bill Moss
Professor, Mathematical Sciences