Slight flame at NM

I spent a few hours trying to get NM working
with my classic Orinoco 802.11b Gold PCMCIA card,
on my Fedora-3 kernel-2.6.11 laptop.

After wasting quite a lot of time,
I was told that NM could not work with this card and driver,
since they do not allow scanning, as shown by "iwlist eth0 scanning".

(1) Don't you think you should warn people to test their cards
in this way _before_ going to the trouble
of installing NM, and trying to get it to work?

(2) If iwlist can work out that the card will not work,
surely NM must know this,
so why does it not politely exit with a message to this effect?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366