Network Manager not working

I apologize for the horribly undescriptive subject, but there seems to be multiple problems that have changed over the last couple months with NetworkManager updates.

My system is a Sony Vaio Notebook (PCG-GRT170), running Fedora Core 3, kept reasonably up to date. Current NetworkManager package:
    NetworkManager-0.3.4-1.1.0.fc3

Network devices:
eth0 (module orinoco_pci):
    00:07.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation:
        Unknown device 3872 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: AMBIT Microsystem Corp.: Unknown device 0202
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
        Memory at d4006000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

eth1 (module sis900):
    00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
        [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 90)
        Subsystem: Sony Corporation: Unknown device 814e
        I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
        Memory at d4004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

Situation up to about a month ago:

NetworkManager worked as expected for the wired network card. It did not detect any wireless networks. dmesg showed repeated messages like:
    eth0: New link status: UNKNOWN (0008)
    eth0: New link status: Connected (0001)
    eth0: New link status: Disconnected (0002)

About a month ago (I didn't keep track of version numbers) the situation changed:

Now NetworkManager does not automatically connect to the wired network. If I select "wired" from the applet menu, it connects and works fine. It still does not detect any wireless networks, but dmesg no longer is showing the repeated connected/disconnected messages.

Stopping NetworkManger and running 'ifup eth0' does connect to the wireless network without problems.

I'm looking for tips on where I should go from here. What kind of information would help the developers fix these problems?

Thanks,

-casey