Re: [patch] add remove right-click menu item.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Mason Kidd wrote:
> On 6/20/05, Robert Love <rml novell com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > Attached patch adds a "Remove From Panel" menu item to the right click
> > menu. Clicking it does what it advertises. It follows the same style
> > and format as other panel applets.
>

> To me this behavior doesn't make sense, considering that nm-applet is not a
> real panel applet, but a notification icon. From a user's POV, if I do
> 'Remove From Panel', how do I get the icon back when I need it? It doesn't
> show up in the 'Add to panel...' dialog, and there is no entry for it in the
> menu. I would suggest using behavior similar to eggcups, i.e. have a 'Hide'
> menu item, and when it is clicked on, it hides the icon, but leaves the
> process running. Then, when there is a change in the network link status
> (and therefore I need to use the icon to connect to another network), the
> icon would reappear. I guess either way, maybe a menu entry should be made
> for it.

This is something I've kind of ignored for a bit.  I think it would probably be
a good idea to have this in the Add to Panel... menu, but then we've got to
figure out how to make sure the Notification Area applet is running too.
Because if the NA isn't running, there's no way nm-applet can show up.  I have
no idea how to do this, perhaps Ray Strode or Mark might have some ideas...