not handling media link changes for wired ethernet

First off, thanks a bunch to all the NetworkManager contributors! I've had great success using NetworkManager on a number of machines. Unfortunately, my own machine has been troublesome.

NetworkManager doesn't seem to respond to the change in the media link status for the wired ethernet. The kernel is logging the media link events:

Jun  1 09:02:36 brak kernel: eth1: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet ...
Jun  1 09:03:01 brak kernel: eth1: Media Link On 100mbps full-duplex
Jun  1 10:48:48 brak kernel: eth1: Media Link Off

However, NetworkManager doesn't seem to take any action as a result. I need to choose "Wired Network" from the applet to force connection on the wired link. When I disconnect the cable, NetworkManager does not bring down the connection or try to connect to a wireless network. Any suggestions? Is there a way to get NetworkManager to log more verbosely so I can determine if it is seeing the media link events?

The details:
  Fedora Core 3
  kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
  NetworkManager-0.3.4-1.1.0.fc3