Re: Atheros abg / madwifi trouble

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 13:40 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 13:31 -0500, Sven wrote:
> > my last 10c: could NM not just monitor the "Link Quality" of the
> > connection (as in /proc/net/wireless) and trigger a scan if that changes
> > dramatically? (i guess also with a timer, since if the link quality is
> > low anyway every change in LQ will be "dramatic" ...)
>
> Unfortunately, the link quality is not reported uniformly by drivers.
> Some only give you the signal level in dBm, many give you noise in dBm
> (so at least one could do a signal-to-noise ratio for some idea of
> quality), some drivers give you a quality but no maximum quality, and
> some drivers actually do the right thing.  Furthermore, many drivers
> don't report the correct maximum quality/max rssi for your particular
> chipset.  Its really not good to rely on anything quality related at
> this time.

understood. i guess it's hard to find a solution that fits all...
especially with all these different cards and drivers and...

i guess i would really really like to be able to stay connected to the
ap, i.e. be able to stop the scanning, since i'm usually in one spot for
a long time... and the constant disconnecting (even for a short time) is
really annoying. any chance to have the scanning optional?

Sven