Re: static ip (newb)

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 13:02 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> OK, yes, I'm using Fedora core 3.  When you say "NM supports static IP", you
> mean it "just works"?  Assuming I have a working FC3 setup with static IP, I
> can install NM (e.g., using yum) and it should just work?

NetworkManager should honor the settings in your /etc/sysconfig/network-
scripts/ifcfg-<your interface> if it attempts to activate that
interface.  For example, if you /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-
eth0 file looks like:

IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=1.1.1.0
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth5
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=1.1.1.1

then NM will set the eth0 interface up with IP Addr 1.1.1.1, netmask
255.255.255.0, and add a default route to 1.1.1.0.  If it doesn't its a
bug and I'll fix it.

Unfortunately, system-config-network seems to do the /etc/resolv.conf
stuff via profiles, so you only get 1 /etc/resolv.conf for each profile,
which doesn't really work well with NetworkManager at all.  So that's
the only part that won't work I'm afraid.  Suggestions on how to fix it
would be most welcome :)  The only constraint is that NM doesn't store
system-wide preferences at this time, and won't for a while, so we'll
have to find some method of detecting the current "network profile" that
system-config-network uses, and then do some magic like copying over the
correct resolv.conf file for that profile when you're using Static IP.
I think that would work.