Re: Fix committed for crashing applet with GTK 2.6

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 15:51 -0500, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
> Just for the record, is there any way of killing the
> NetworkManagerInfo/NetworkManagerNotification combo?  If I kill either
> one, the other restarts it.
>
> I have a problem where starting either of those hangs my gnome-panel,
> completely.  Killing either one causes the other to restart it.  Killing
> gnome-panel causes NetworkManagerNotification to die, but then
> NetworkManagerInfo restarts it, re-hanging the new gnome-panel.  I can't
> even log out to reboot, I have to powercycle!
>
> I'm running Gentoo with Gnome 2.9.3, if it matters.

The call-chain is like this:

gnome-session manages NetworkManagerInfo (and restarts it when it dies)
NetworkManagerInfo manages NetworkManagerNotification (and restarts it
when it dies)

Since NMI is session-managed, you have to remove it from your session.
Run 'gnome-session-properties' and remove both NMI and NMN and that
should kill them both.  They won't come back though unless you've turned
off session-saving, or unless you start them yourself.

Can you get a backtrace of where the panel hangs?  That would be useful
debug info.  Best would be to get a backtrace (using 't a a bt' to get
all threads' stacks) for both gnome-panel _and_
NetworkManagerNotification.

Thanks,