Re: named support now requires passing --with-named

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 00:08 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just committed code which defaults to writing resolv.conf directly
> unless --with-named is passed.
>
> The support is most useful for two reasons:
>
> 1) It avoids issues with applications (i.e. glibc) not noticing changes
>    to resolv.conf.
> 2) Longer term when NetworkManager gets VPN support, you can tell
>    NetworkManager to use e.g. my corporate nameserver only for resolving
>    mycompany.com, and the default nameservers for everything else.  This
>    is not possible using resolv.conf.

Oh, and:

3) Often people want to run a caching nameserver for exactly that -
   caching.  Previously you couldn't do that when using
   NetworkManager.  It seems sane to me to just have caching on, all
   of the time, and Just Work, rather than something you have to futz
   with to manually enable.