Problem with ESSIDs as gconf keys

Hi,
I notice that NetworkManagerInfo will use the wireless network's ESSID as a
gconf key to store information about the network.
I have a non-advertising wireless network with an ESSID of "Bitch Whore"
(don't ask!), which causes NetworkManagerInfo much unhappiness. Reading the
802.11 spec, it seems that an ESSID can contain basically any valid
character from most charsets, including utf-8, whereas the gconf manual says:
"Characters in a path should be alphanumeric or underscore"
There seems to be a potentially fairly serious problem here.
Thoughts?
-Thom
--
That sounds like a lot of work... Can we out source?
The Revolution will not be outsourced!