Re: Making metadata storage SQL-driven

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 16:42 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
>

> >>with a dbus wrapper around it the license becomes irrelevant. The dbus
> >>server end of DDS will be GPL but the client end libDDS will be LGPL.
> >>IPC is a great way to eliminate GPL dependencies!
> >

> > That is a runaround the GPL.  Not something I would like to see GNOME
> > set precedence on.
> >

> The purpose of the Dbus wrapper is not to act as a run around the GPL.
> The dbus wrapper is their to create a per session database thats fast
> and efficient memory wise (by using threads and threadpools). The fact
> that it also allows us to bypass restrictive licenses in this instance
> is a bonus :)

As I said a runaround and on shaky legal ground.  For you to dismiss it
shows you don't understand the issues and are invalidating the intent of
the developers of MySQL.

This is from the FSF and though it deals with Binary components I think
it is relevant (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/compliancelab.html):

Common ways that may make the binary component a derivative work of a
pure-GPL'ed component include, but are not necessarily limited to:
communication of the binary component with a pure-GPL'ed component via a
rich,non-standard IPC or network interface that gives all the same
functionality normally given by static or dynamic linking.

If you want to use it you need to get exception for your use from
MySQL's copyright holders which is made easier because I think one
company holds all of the copyright.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>