Proposal for better DnD moving/copying (especially in browser-mode)

I'd been thinking about some ways to have better copying/moving in
Nautilus (without having to mess with multiple windows or copy/paste)
and posted an idea on the Ubuntu community forums:

What it boils down to:
One of the major spatial-mode enhancements that browser-mode users are
missing is easy DnD copying and moving of files. Now that Nautilus
features the "pathbar" instead of the location bar (screenshot), I
think this is a wonderful opportunity to implement good DnD into
browser-mode Nautilus.

When dragging a file, if you hover over a directory, a bookmark in the
sidepane, or a button on the pathbar, that location should be opened,
similar to the current behavior when hovering over the "show desktop"
button, for example. Also, a simple DnD (no hovering) into the
pathbar, or sidepane, should move the file, similar to as if was
dropped on a regular folder.

This would make a number of common actions an absolute breeze. You
want to move something into the parent directory? Just DnD it to the
pathbar. Want to move it two layers deep? Just hover over the first
folder, then drop it into the second. Want to move it into /foo? Just
hover over "/" in the pathbar and then drop it into "foo".

It was then pointed out that Apple had a patent (#6,307,545) on
"spring-loaded folders", which is very similar. Apple's patent
mentions several specific things, beyond my suggestion, such as
temporary popup windows. I'm no expert on patent law. Would simply
opening a folder when you pause over it be in violation? What about if
you used a keystroke instead of "when the user pauses, gestures, or
rolls over a hot spot"? i.e. you drag to the folder to highlight it
(same as normal) but then you can press enter, or right-click or
whatever to open it?

Anyway, take it as you will. Not sure if it could be done, but I think
something like this would be a very valuable asset for Nautilus.