Re: Template system

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 16:19, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> At least we should
> * provide a way for apps to provide their templates in a system-wide
> fashion, but protected from deletion

Please no.  Every crappy application is going to install one of these,
and the next thing you know I am going to have 50 items in my context
menu, one of which allows me to "New SQL Query document" or something
else crackheaded that I would never use.  And then we'll have to go back
to the drawing board because that's definitely not an acceptable
solution.

> * provide a way for users to save and manage their templates, perhaps
> allowing them to personally override (but not system-wide) their
> templates, and revert to the default templates
> * merging system and user templates into one view
> * provide an api just like the desktop-file-install but for templates
> * do our stuff while keeping binary package systems in mind (RPM and
> DEB)

This all seems way over-engineered and error-prone.  As I'm sure anyone
who has worked on the menu system can tell you, trying to sanely merge
the user's changes with the system's settings is very difficult and
arguably not worth it.

Joe