Re: [Nautilus-list] Scripts: standard outputs??

On Wednesday, July 11, 2001, at 09:30  AM, Simon A Watts wrote:

I was wondering if there is any mechanism for a script to send output to some component of Nautilus, either some text window or the status bar? Where does the standard output and standard error streams go?

I believe that standard output and standard error currently go wherever Nautilus standard output and standard error are going.

Scripts that want the user to see a message typically invoke tools that put up windows. In languages like Perl and Python, you can use GTK to do that.

Could Nautilus redirect a scripts stdout to some part of itself, a text display in the main window? (Optionally, set to display if it receives any non-whitespace).

I can imagine a fancier feature where Nautilus would put the script output somewhere rather than just letting it through to Nautilus's output. But if doing this, I would want to put the output somewhere that has the capacity for more than one line, because lots of scripts are going to output things from standard Unix tools.

For that matter, if there where pseudo devices for components (eg, /dev/nautilus-statusbar, /dev/nautilus-notes)? (These are then script language independant).

No. It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure exactly how this would work.

If someone wants to do some work in this area, I'm available to help a bit with design and implementation.

    -- Darin