Re: [Muine] minor annoyance with tray icon menu

Hi,

Jorn Baayen wrote:
> > Can you try the attached patch and see if that helps?
>
> I just commited a fix for this to CVS. Basically the same as your
> fix, but multihead-proof.

Thanks! (Both of you ;)

> I don't think we should DnD to cellrenderers.. will be pretty damn
> confusing I'm afraid..
>
> Technically it'll be possible somehow surely but nah.. don't think
> we should.

Let me explain why I asked about it. I *knew* it's somehow possible to
set the cover via DnD, it was written in the NEWS file, and the
albums list was the first place where I tried it, which means that it
would be intuitive UI at least for me (assuming it would occur to me
that I can use DnD at all, which it probably wouldn't, I'm not used
to it). When it didn't work, I blamed it on one of these DnD
protocols incompatibility problems that still exist and only later
did it occur to me that I can try to drag the cover to the *other*
place where cover is shown.

So I am now able to set covers via DnD, but frankly, it can be a pain
to do it when you're doing initial import of lots of albums. I have
several albums that don't have covers at Amazon (mostly from
magnatune.com) and when I wanted to set them, I had two options: I
could do it one by one, i.e. add single album, drag the cover, clear
playlist, add another album, drag the cover, clear playlist and so
on. Or I could add all of the albums to the playlist and set them,
but because the album image is bound to currently played song, I'd
have to change the song at random, hover over the album image to see
what the album is in the tooltip (because this information is not
visible in the playlist), drag the image and continue searching for
songs from still-coverless albums by trial and error. Changing the
song takes about 2 seconds here (all GStreamer apps suffer from this,
it's not Muine-specific), so it is lengthy process.

Both these methods suffer from additional issue: I would like to
listen to one particular album when working on filling-in missing
covers, but I can't because I have to keep either changing the
playlist or changing between the songs, even though the task I'm
doing at the time (i.e., changing the covers) is unrelated to
playback.

This is, of course, not really important because you set the covers
once, but listen to the music all the time, so Muine's UI still beats
any other player's that I know by wide margin and would even if this
was as horrible problem as I made it sound above, which it isn't.

Regards,
Vaclav

--
PGP key: 0x465264C9, available from http://pgp.mit.edu/