Re: [Muine] Embedded album covers/First Time Dialog

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 08:59, Lee Willis wrote:
> Yesterday I pulled together two patches. The first will pick up album
> cover art from embedded id3 tags (If they exist). Jorn still has to
> offer his feedback about the elegance of the solution, however it'd be
> good if people could test this[1] and see how well it works since I
> don't have any MP3s with embedded images [I fudged one up to test]. If
> people who have tagged their MP3s with various tools can let me know how
> well this works I'd be grateful!
>
> The patch is at :-
> http://www.leewillis.co.uk/muine/embedded_album_art.patch

There were some issues here, they were:

- you were leaking the GdkPixbufLoader
- you were creating a Metadata structure in GetCoverImage. This meant
creating a Metadata struct twice for each loaded song, which wasn't
exactly optimal. The metadata struct is passed as an argument to
GetCoverImage now.

But, those are fixed and in CVS now. Thanks! :)

> I also made some changes to the "first-time" dialog, I didn't make much
> sense to me [Certainly didn't "help" me as a user ...]
>
> The patch just changes the wording and swaps around the default [I guess
> most people wouldn't run a music player before having any music on their
> computer]
>
> Patch at :-
> http://www.leewillis.co.uk/muine/first_time.patch

Yea, I agree the current solution isn't exactly elegant.. with huge
tooltips and all... however, but I think we should do the following at
startup:

- Just use ~/Music if it exists
- Promote the use of a standard music dir like ~/Music, so that ripping
apps dump their files straight into a managed folder
- Allow "power users" to keep using their /data/mp3
- Create a Playlists folder for storing the playlists if it doesn't
exist

Getting all this into a decent dialog is pretty tough... any suggestions
here are most welcome ...

Cheers,

Jorn