Static Options?

I am a beginner in linux-and rather enjoy the feel of arrowing through a list
of mp3s-and-mashing enter on a file.  Folks suggest "mc" as an option.  Since I
am totally blind, I just would want the file names.  Your f4 claims to toggle
among types of menues, but we can't get it quite right.
Another good suggestion was running pine's pilot.  Yes, the display is fine,
but it won't automaticly launch with enter.
I understand there will be desktops with speech support soon.
Please any ideas on how to setup "mc" for a simply displayed list?  Thanks so
much in advance
Hart