Re: Problem with Red Hat S-Lang worked around

Hello!

Replying to myself.

> It is now possible to link mc against the patched version of S-Lang from
> Red Hat 8.0 without losing non-ASCII characters in the menu.  For some
> reason, Red Hat S-Lang expects the argument to addch() to be a wide
> character (wchar_t), so I had to write a replacement to addch().

I was primarily checking the menus (in ru_RU.KOI8-R locale), but the
editor, the viewer and non-ASCII files on panels are still broken in C
locale (en_US is OK) :-(

Re-added to TODO.

My preliminary understanding is that conversions to Unicode and back still
happens, and they kill non-ASCII characters in the C locale.  It may
happen that the only way to get rid of those conversions it to add some
significant parts of non-UTF code (SLsmg_write_nchars) to mc.  Not very
nice.  Another solution is to stop recognizing Red Hat S-Lang in configure
until it's fixed.

> We are now just 9 TODO items away from 4.6.0-pre2.

10 again :-(

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin