Re: detection of xterm mouse support

On Wednesday, January 02, 2002 at 19:02, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hi, Oskar!

Hello Pavel!

> Sorry for the late reply.  I like your patch, but it has a side effect:
>
> TERM=ansi mc -x
>
> on rxvt doesn't enable the mouse.  Your patch changes the meaning of "-x"
> - now it forces only xterm-style save/restore of the screen and the hints
> in the caption, but not the xterm mouse support.
>
> This would require changes in the documentation and the help.  I don't
> want to do it at this point, because many translations will have to be
> changed.
>
> I would rather remove the "-x" option completely.  It has been broken for
> a long time anyway.  This would mean that xterm hintbar and xterm
> save/restore will only work on the terminals explicitly recognized as
> xterm.  It would be possible to change the code later so that those
> capabilities are also detected automatically, like the xterm mouse
> support.

Sounds great. I was planning to do the same (e.g. submit patches
to fix all those places where hardcoded terminal control sequences,
the xterm_flag and TERM compares are used).

In other words, I'm happy with this. :)

The next thing I'd like to change is the handling of keypad mode -
more about that in the next email.

Regards,

Oskar Liljeblad (oskar osk mine nu)