Re: Panel_Mousewheel_Scroll.patch

Hi, Mike!

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Mike Smithson wrote:

> Trivial Patch #10262: This patch scrolls one line at at time instead of
> one page at a time when spinning the mousewheel.

The patch is very non-trivial!

> Does anyone like it or find it useful?

I don't like the behavior of the selected file.  It can go outside the
visible part of the panel, and you are doing nothing to prevent it.

I don't know what would be the reasonable behavior for the selection.
That's why I didn't implement scrolling.  Possible solutions:

1) The selection should always remain on the same visible position.

2) The selection should remain on the same visible position unless the
visible part cannot be changed, in which case the selection should move.
That's consistent with the behavior implemented by the internal editor.

3) The selection should move to the next file whenever possible.  The
position of the visible part should change to accommodate the selection if
necessary.

Your implementation may be consistent with some GUI editors (gedit behaves
in such way) and Windows Commander 5.0, but I believe it not intuitive for
the text interface.  GNU Midnight Commander always shows the selection.

Also, I don't think that panel_scroll_pages is relevant.  According to the
manual, it affects the up and down keys.  I see no reason to reuse the
same option for the mouse events.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin