Re: Help fixes & Misc.

Hello!

Pavel Roskin wrote:
Hello!

Please disregard the reply sent in private.  This discussion should be
kept open.

a) This one has nothing to do with the help browser, but with the
viewer. Go to mc.1 and try F3-F8-F8. No fix included, it was out of my
way...

This goes to my TODO list. Not sure if I can do it before 4.6.0 release. Any help will be appreciated.

Looks like another security issue. Malicious user can put script with the same name. May be file permissions and ownership must be checked before execute.

Yes.  But it's not such a big issue to discuss it privately.  The user has
to do something unusual (pressing F8 twice), and the attacker must act
within a certain time interval (after the file was opened in the viewer).

The script should not be re-run if we don't preserve it. Pressing F8 essentially restarts the viewer. Possible solutions:

1) Get rid of the scripts, use system() or something like that.  The
reason to use scripts was to enforce Bourne shell syntax (see comment in
ext.c). But I think that all advanced scripting should be kept out of mc.ext.

2) Preserve scripts until the viewer exits.

This is old behaviour.  Require roll back some changes from CVS.

3) Create a new script.

4) Disable F8 when it would require re-running the script.

Easiest way if we don't want change new behaviour of self-removing scripts.

May be we need ability to show original mc.hlp.

LC_ALL=C man mc

Should be sufficuent for most users who are not satisfied with the
translations.

Ok for now.

BTW there are a lot of .IR, .BR and etc in Polish mc.1.in.
As far as know SCO's man/mandoc does not support then, as far as man2hlp (easy to implement, and we need better .IP handling).

I think it's better to replace those macros.

They have some charm ;-) And there is no other way to make "user" bold and , normal without space between in "user," construction.

And I would like to see some machinery to choose what translated manuals and help files to install.

. . .

Maybe we could set SUBDIRS in doc/Makefile.am to @LINGUAS@ ? By the way, configure.in should be using LINGUAS, not ALL_LINGUAS.

I agree with LINGUAS change, and does not require many changes.
Unfortunatelly automake fails if any of directories from SUBDIRS does not exist. And automake know nothing about GNU make functions.