Re: gnome app pages (was confusingly Gnome Software Map)

Hi,

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:33:38 +0200
Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:

> Pragmatism: it is sensible to say that Evolution needs to be featured
> somewhere in wgo. And we are going to have a list of featured
> products. Let's move forward.

You're leading. It's your decision.

> Now that the product pages are in the wgo map, it's time to define
> their components. Anyone to start with a draft?

I think I've sent one already. Might be useful to say what you want
instead, or what information you're missing.

> Don't get me wrong. I think most points of the former proposal are
> valid and should be kept in the current wgo revamp. See
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/NewWgoStructure , I'm asking for
> selecting and merging. Why don't you work together with Joachim to get
> an updated version?

No offense meant to Joachim but the differences in his proposal that I
find useful can easily be merged back into the old one. Some other
points might be worth to be discussed; for example, removing
'Foundation' out of the top navigation -- no idea what other think
about it. Some of his points I find, ehm, strange. ;-)

Again, no offense meant!

However, the main problem is: People need to say what points they
find invalid about the old one. They must be prepared to explain why,
and maybe to provide an example of their idea (Again: Jeff's proposal
about "embedded" sounds cool but I have no clue about the
embeddedd stuff and no time to find out.)

Otherwise there's no progress here, just changes.

> Why "better" and "instead"? Case studies are also a 2.16 goal:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/CaseStudies , still unassigned despite
> their relevance.

*Deployment stories and case studies* instead of *awards* -- because the
only awards that GNOME got are number 2 places IIRC. I don't think that
will create a good impression. ;-)

> Agreed. I will insist about this unassigned goal:
>
> Make wgo explain clearly what is GNOME, why you want to have it and be
> part of it

Hm, you're not looking at me, are you? ;-)

There's no single answer to either of these points. One would probably
need at least 4 screenshots to make windows people understand what a
desktop environment is, and GNOME's even more!

It's useless trying to make people understand an abstract concept: Try
to explain what a "stone" is without showing one!

Thus I believe: As soon as people installed Linux and GNOME, they will
know what a desktop environment is. Why bother with a single
explanation? Again, the tour already features many aspects of GNOME,
and we can use different explanations throughout the web site.

However, I have a draft about the why; reformulated from existing
pages. It's attached. A native English speaker is probably able
to refine the basic idea without problems; I just picked the words in
the headers because of their, well, rhythm.

Cheers,
Claus
Title: Why Choose GNOME?

Why Choose GNOME?

A dedicated community of volunteers and years of development have made GNOME a valuable choice for home users, companies, and public authorities:

It's easy to learn. And use.

GNOME's community of professional and volunteer usability experts have created Free Software's first and only Human Interface Guidelines, and all core GNOME software is adopting these principles.

Using GNOME requires minimal training, and is easy to support, administer, and install; cutting IT costs for rollout and maintenance. Easy to use also means easy to support: remote system administration cuts down on time spent pacing hallways and waiting in elevators.

In addition, extensive manuals and help systems mean you're never without resources.

It's honest. No tricks.

GNOME is Free Software and part of the GNU project. Its development is open and transparent. An established peer-review process makes GNOME as secure as possible. No spyware or adware is included in GNOME.

GNOME's licensing policy also means that you don't have to pay licensing fees or spend money keeping track of licenses, and you can build in-house software royalty-free, even if you choose not to release the source.

It's reliable. Granted.

GNOME releases are defined by the GNOME Release Team and are scheduled to occur every six months. Strict policies for the stability of our programming libraries ensure that GNOME software is granted to work after new GNOME releases.

As an organized community, with a foundation of several hundred members, with teams for usability, accessibility, and quality assurence, and with an elected board, GNOME is a reliable partner for your desktop and development needs.

It's widespread. Globally.

GNOME is available in your language. Many large software companies do not produce translations for smaller languages, but GNOME makes it easy for dozens of languages both large and small, including Azerbaijani, Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Spanish, and Swedish.

If you have limited mobility or vision, then you'll be glad to hear that GNOME is serious about accessible software. GNOME works with screen readers, braille keyboards, and screen magnifiers, and meets accessibility requirements for many governments worldwide, including the US Department of Defense.

It's growing. Daily.

Already today, GNOME is the desktop of choice for industry leaders like IBM, HP, and Sun. Governments in places as diverse as Kenosha, Wisconsin, in the US, Extremadura, Spain, and Beijing, China, have selected GNOME for their desktops. With a large number of users, and a wide range of vendors, you can be assured of availability and support for a long time to come.

GNOME has all the software you need every day: games, browser, email, office suite, and more. In addition, excellent Windows file compatibility means you can work with files that Windows users send you.

A growing number of developers choose GNOME because the GNOME object system is easy to bind to other languages, so they can choose from a dozen popular development languages like Java, C#, Python, Perl, and of course C and C++.

It's yours. Absolutly.

GNOME is dedicated to giving users and developers the ultimate level of control over their desktops, their software, and their data: You are allowed to download the source code, change it, share it legally with your friends and build a community around it.

Most GNOME libraries are available under the terms of the LGPL, which means you can develop GNOME software free of charge, no matter what license you use for your finished product.

Try GNOME today: The GNOME LiveCD makes it easy to test while leaving your current installation intact.