Subject: [David Neary]RE: MP3 licensing
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:07:16 -0800
From: Caldwell Rocky <Rocky Caldwell thomson net>
To: bolsh gimp org

 Dear David,

Thanks for contacting mp3 Licensing.

You are asking legal questions, and we do not provide legal advice.

However, obviously, mp3 implementations by GPL and LGPL software use the
patents developed by Frauhofer and Thomson. Without the patents, there
would be no GPL or LGPL mp3 software.

Usage of any patents is determined by the patent holders.

We are not prepared to issue and irrevocable, free patent license to GPL
and LGPL software using our patents. We do allow non-commerical use of
our patents.  However, the GPL and LGPL software allow onward
distribution that can easily be non-commercial.

As the LAME software page states, "Using the LAME encoding engine (or
other mp3 encoding technology) in your software may require a patent
license in some countries."

Regards,

Rocky Caldwell

Director, mp3 Licensing

Thomson Patents and LIcensing

RB Courtyard, Suite 100
16935 W. Bernardo Drive
Rancho Bernardo, CA 92127
rocky caldwell thomson net

www.mp3licensing.com
Thomson (Euronext Paris: 18453; NYSE: TMS) provides end-to-end solutions
(technologies, equipment and services) to the entertainment industries.
To advance and enable the digital media transition, Thomson has four
principal divisions: Content and Networks, Consumer Products,
Components, and Licensing. The company distributes its products under
the Technicolor, Grass Valley, THOMSON and RCA brand names.
For more information: www.thomson.net