Re: glocale imported in Giulia CVS

Christian Persch wrote:
> I added a jhbuild module in my moduleset and tried to build it, but it
> doesn't work because jhbuild expects autogen.sh to call configure as the
> last thing (every GNOME module does that). Ok to commit the attached
> patch?

Well, no. The comments in autogen.sh say what this script is for:
  # Convenience script for regenerating all aclocal.m4, config.h.in, Makefile.in,
  # configure files with new versions of autoconf or automake.
It is not meant as a replacement for the configure script, because I don't
want to document different ways to pass configure arguments for users of
the CVS and for users of the released package.

The autogen.sh scripts of GNU grep, GNU guile, GNU gettext, swarm, tetex
all do the same: regenerate infrastructure files omitted from CVS.

The autogen.sh script of mono calls configure if no environment variable
NOCONFIGURE is set. You see the added complexity that results from mixing
two basically separate tasks: regenerating files omitted from CVS, and
testing the current machine's configuration.

You'd better fix jhbuild to call configure itself, if autogen.sh didn't
do it. (For example by testing whether config.status is missing or has a
timestamp older than configure.)

> And autogen.sh doesn't support out-of-srcdir builds

That's a problem in your patch. The existing glocale/autogen.sh allows
me to do
   ./autogen.sh
   mkdir build ; cd build ; ../configure ; make

Bruno