Re: [sigc] ANNOUNCE: libsigc++ 1.9.12 (aka libsigc++ 2.0 beta 1)

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 22:20, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Could you give me some feedback about the latest announcement?
> Any typos, bad language, waffle, wrong/missing information, etc.?

see below.

> Unless somebody else does the job, I will finally copy&paste vast
> parts of this notice into the libsigc++-2.0 announcement in a few
> weeks

I hope you will wait for gtkmm 2.4 to be declared API stable.

> > libsigc++ implements a typesafe callback system for standard C++. It
> > allows you to define signals and to connect those signals to any
> > callback function, either global or a member function, regardless of
> > whether it is static or virtual.
> >
> > libsigc++ is used by gtkmm to wrap the GTK+ signal system. It does not
> > depend on GTK or gtkmm.
> >
> > libsigc++ 2.0 uses modern C++ mechanisms to achieve a highly flexible,

I would remove the word "mechanisms",

> > yet typesafe callback system. It supports all features of libsigc++

the features

> > 1.2
> > and improves upon it with a simpler and more powerful API. The old API
> > is preserved by means of a deprecated compatibility module.
> >
> > In particular the API improvements from libsigc++ 1.2 to 2.0 include:
> > * Provides unnumbered signal and slot templates.

I would give a quick example here.

> > * Supports arbitrary functor types.

Again an example would show what this means. If you want to keep this
list short then you could put examples on a libsigc++ web page and link
to them. Tell me if you have any problems updating the libsigc++ web
page with libsigc++-1.2/docs (or something similar)

> > * Supports implicit argument type conversions on signal emission.
> > * Adds support for overloaded functions.

Again, I'm not really sure what this means myself.

> > * Borrows powerful accumulator interface from boost::signal.

Again, though I personally have more idea this time.

> > * Simplifies use of adaptors: argument types need not be specified any
> >   more (except for sigc::retype_return()).

I would say "For instance, SigC::bind(), because people don't know what
an adaptor is, but that is the one that they use.

> > * More powerful adaptors: position of arguments to hide or bind can
> >   be chosen freely.
> > * Adds two useful adaptors: sigc::compose(), sigc::exception_catch().
> > * Adds all-in-one operator sigc::group() with support for lambdas
> >   featuring a complete set of lambda selectors and lambda operators.
> > * Highly optimizable:

Do you mean "highly optimized" or do you mean that there is something
that the application writer can do to make it faster?
]
>  performs only one indirect function call during
> >   slot invokation independant

s/independent/regardless/

>  of the number of adaptors used.
> > * Conforms to the STL naming scheme: only uses small letters.

I would mention the compatibility layer again here.

> > *** Prerequisits

Prerequisites, but "Supported Compilers" is probably better anyway, and
I would name exactly which compilers are known to work, and which we
think should be tested.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net