Re: [HIG] Policy questions

On 22Oct2001 01:19PM (-0700), Adam Elman wrote:
> Policy questions:
>
> 1. Menu item names: "Quit <appname>", "Close <appname>", or just
> "Quit" / "Close"?

Plain "Quit" / "Close"

> 2. "Select None", "Deselect All", or nothing?

Nothing.

> 3. "Edit->Preferences" ok as an alternative to "Options" menu?

My sugestion would be "Edit->Preferences..." if there is only a single
prefs dialog, otherwise a "Preferences" menu that includes an "Edit
Preferences..." item for the main prefs dialog. I think we should
specifically advise against menus named "Options" or "Settings".

> 4. Letter or Fkey shortcut keys?

Letter.

> 5. Mnemonics for "OK" and "Cancel" in a dialog box, or just enter and escape?

Just enter and escape.

> 6. Drag-drop with right mouse button: show a menu?

I think query-drag should be on the middle button instead of the right
button. The reason for this is that query-drag on the right button
causes a usability problem: when the user right clicks, the popup menu
cannot appear right away, the application has to wait for the
double-click interval to make sure the user is not initiating a
drag. If query-drag were moved to the middle button, we could say that
right-click never initiates a drag and always pops up the context menu
immediately.

> 7. Include a shortcut key for Quit? (Kathy recommends against).

We should. Every system does it. If quitting can result in user data
loss, there should be a confirmation dialog.

> 8. General keyboard shortcut issues: see notes in keynav section.

Didn't read the notes, no opinion.

 - Maciej