Re: [guppi-list] Guppi as a mime-type handler

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:47:09PM +0000, Neil J Pilgrim wrote:

> Well given that its been packaged and doesn't appear under non-free in
> debian, plus the bottom of:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/mfs/70/2865?54#mfs
>
> says that a RMS-suggested change means that it does now not restrict
> free redistribution, etc. Also there is reference to GPL software using
> netCDF, which includes Grace.

Looking at the copyright notice/license, it seems like the NetCDF
"advertising clause" requires you to give them credit for any
*publications* that result from using their software.  This doesn't
impact redistribution, but it is a strange sort of a use restriction
(i.e. it can't be used to produce an uncredited publication).

It looks like this could be worked around by adding a special
exception to Guppi's license, saying that you are allowed to link the
NetCDF library against it.  While I don't take GPL-variance issues
lightly (I'm hawkish when it comes to licenses), I might be inclined
to make such an exception if NetCDF support is something that could
significantly affect Guppi's chances of wide-spread adoption by the
scientific community in the long run.

Of course, I'd rather just support data formats with non-broken
licenses...

-JT