Re: [guppi-list] Licensing question

On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 03:43:43PM +0200, Asger K. Alstrup Nielsen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I think Guppi is a great project, and consider contributing to the
> effort.
>
> I also want to use the statistical part of Guppi in a commercial
> application, but have a few questions regarding the licensing
> of it.  The problem for me is that it contains code published
> in ACM.  They have a requirement of getting permission to use
> code from them, which I want to avoid.
> I realize that the relevant part of Guppi is LGPL, but this seems
> to be a problem in regard to the relevant code, because LGPL is
> incompatible with the ACM requirements.
>
> Therefor, I propose to rewrite the relevant distribution functions,
> such that the library will be true LGPL.  There might be other
> libraries on the net, where we can grab the code.

So it sounds like the ACM-encumbered code consists of numerical
routines for calculating distribution functions.  As has been
discussed on this list today, the GNU Scientific Library has been
located and provides functions for calculating all of the standard
distributions, many more than are currently available in Goose; and
the current plan is to integrate the GSL and Goose.  So maybe this
will painlessly solve your problem.

I'm also long overdue for releasing a new version of Goose.  Lots of
things have been cleaned up and (*gasp*) it can now actually do some
stuff.  Not much yet, but some.  If all goes well, look for Goose
0.0.2 in the next few days.

-JT