Re: [guadec-list] Accommodation plans

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Quim Gil wrote:

> This is why I ended up (fully intuitively, no research here) with this
> idea of accommodation for 150 people as a peak. Or 30 bungalows for 8
> nights (from the 23rd to the 30th) which is what really matters to make
> the reservation. If they are booked soon we can probably go for some more.

Yes, this sounds very reasonable.  Specially, matching people
together to fill bungalows is something people hardly can do
themselves.  I have been using this service at other conferences
and really appreciate it.  Nowadays I don't quite need it, I know
enough people in the community to find who to share with, but for
newcomers, it's one thing they cannot go without.

> > I would ask the community to communicate
> > intentions to come in order to tune this group reservation better.
>
> Maybe a post in the GUADEC homepage + Planet + Gnomedesktop + email to
> the advisory board companies explaining the bungalow-based GNOME Village
> and asking for accommodation plans and pre-booking with no compromise
> could help having a better idea?

There needs to be various measures to make sure the reservations
are met.  I'm not sure what exactly, requiring payment to make
reservations is what everybody does.  We can handle the
exceptions separately (like people with no credit card, etc.)

But one thing I can't emphasize enough is that for all this to
work out, we need to open registration really really soon now.
The visa process for me takes about three months, and it is
starting to get late...  And we don't really want to make a buzz
out of this GNOME village when registration is not open yet, or
we will lose a lot of potential attenders.

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"