Re: TreeView

Bob Caryl wrote:
Because I have not had a situation that required displaying "zillions of rows", I cannot comment on that except to say that I don't think the display of that much data in a GUI makes a lot of sense in the real world. <Bob dons his asbestos suit>.

Bob

Well, just search the archive of this list (or gtk+'s); I remember some emails worrying about performance, especially when it comes to display full databases (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtkmm-list/2003-February/msg00066.html, probably http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtkmm-list/2003-October/msg00204.html, etc.). On my own case, working on POS systems, showing the whole database of items to be sold in a supermarket (>40000) already forced me to tweak TreeView to make it usable. Another case is when you need to show data quickly, in (more or less) real time situations, when you cannot afford losing CPU time just to show a simple item in the screen. In any case, this discussion seems to be out of topic in a list that's about a C++ wrapper of a toolkit that happens to have that famous widget; probably it would be healthier in gtk+, where probably I would receive the same old answer: "write it yourself if you need it"...