Multithreading in GTKmm

Hi,
I am thinking of writing a multithreaded application in GTKmm. My programm consists of a main window with a toolbar. Once a button from the toolbar is clicked, an event is triggered. A thread should start. This thread should take care of some user input - for example the user clicks on another button from the toolbar - pretty much the same like a media player controller. I guess I need some global volatile flag that indicates whether the thread must be stopped? At several places the initiated thread should check this flag - if it indicates 'STOP', then the thread should stop. If the flag is 'PAUSE', the thread should pause etc. Can you give me an advice for how to handle this situation in GTKmm?
Best wishes