Re: Glib::ConvertError (or: I obviously still don't understand Glib::ustring)

Chris Vine wrote:
I do not use gnomemm, but either Gnome::Vfs::FileInfo::get_name() doesn't return the filename in the filename codeset for your locale (which is unlikely), or you did not name the file tästfile in your locale's filename codeset (more likely). Probably you gave its name in UTF-8 and your filename codeset is ISO8859-15, or vice versa. Remember that as far as Unix is concerned the file name is just a sequence of bytes. It is for you to get the sequence right.

I issued 'touch tästfile' from the shell. I have no idea which codeset has been used for that. My locale is set to 'en_US' (that probably means ISO-8859-1).

aterm, gnome-terminal and nautilus properly display this file, so I think it's really a problem with my code, not the way I created this file.

Why not just call it taestfile?

Because my program can not make the assumption that everyone who will be using it converts all umlauts in his/her files on his/her computer to 'ae' 'oe' and so on.

I named the file this way intentionally (it's a "testfile"), to check if my program can handle filenames which have special characters in it. Obviously it doesn't :)