Re: how to get the width of a string

there is a entry in my window, so I want to put a string to the entry box.
if the string is too long to fit the entry, so I need cut the string to be like this:
aaaaaa...bbb,
so, my question is how to get the width of the specify string with default font style.
Thanks for any hint!

something like:

Glib::RefPtr<Pango::Layout> layout;
layout = m_entry.create_pango_layout("");
layout->set_markup("<span font_desc=\"sans 12\">some text</span>");
int LayoutWidth, LayoutHeight;
layout->get_size(LayoutWidth, LayoutHeight);
double text_width = LayoutWidth / PANGO_SCALE;

--
Marco