Notebook and another container (ScrolledWindow)

I'm adding Widgets to a Notebook and getting a little puzzled.

I'm doing this all in a for loop with index i:

Gtk::Widget* html = Glib::wrap(gtk_html_new());

... some stuff to the html ...

Gtk::ScrolledWindow scroll;
scroll.add(*html);

panes_.insert_page(scroll,tab_label[i], menu_label[i], i);

Then pack the panes_ into a VBox in my top level window and nothing
shows up. . . but if I skip the ScrollWindow and just do

panes_.insert_page(html,tab_label[i], menu_label[i], i);

or just pack the scroll in the VBox then html widget shows up.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or why packing the ScrollWindow into the
Notebook is screwing me up?

Regards