gtkmm comments

Hi all,
Murray suggested I pass these on to the list for ideas - note comments are
coming from the perspective of searching for the best GUI toolkit for
ourselves.  as info so far I have been comparing: Qt, Gtkmm, Fltk, Wxwidgets,
java, XFC, Fox, Ultimate++.  Maybe some day I'll actually get the paper
posted on the web somewhere.

I have been doing a pretty extensive comparison between the different
cross-platform toolkits - in short, gtkmm is very appealing due to basis on
gtk which is being strongly supported (although we really dislike the new file
chooser and cancel before okay buttons)  and I'm biased towards c++ over c.
Gtkmm might want to borrow some ideas from XFC in terms of documentation and
examples (I really found XFC to be excellent in this area).  Also gtkmm
is lacking in screenshot examples of applications using it (this is very
important when trying to "sell" the idea of using it to others - first
impresssions are so key).  ie Examples showing gtkmm able to use opengl, 2d
drawing, svg(for our unique needs), handling images, rich text / html
display, tables, etc - these are the key areas we have compared between
toolkits as must features.  Also the library dependencies seem scary more so
than some other toolkits - maybe it's not true - a sample makefile for linux
and windows might address this.   Gtkmm scored pretty well on developer input
(we look for more than 1-man projects)  and very well on frequency of updates
- we got the feeling of pretty stable, bug-free code (you never really know
until you're knee deep in it - that's why the examples of other apps are so
key).  Plus we use the Inkscape project as a great role model and they seem
pretty happy with gtkmm so far.

John