{
  Glib::ustring test("1002");
  istringstream out(test);
  unsigned value;
  out >> value;
  cout << value << "\n";
  return 0;
}

However, you might want to use the BOOST lexical_cast.

As a side note I would like to say that: NEVER SHOULD A get_int
FUNCTION BE MADE!
For this C++ provides insertion and extraction operators, which can be
overloaded.  So if anybody is thinking "hey that's a good idea" NO
IT'S NOT!

Happy hacking!

Bram