Re: gtkmm capabilities

Roel Vanhout <roel riks nl> writes:

> 6. As an exception to the Sections above, you may also combine or link
> a "work that uses the Library" with the Library to produce a work
> containing portions of the Library, and distribute that work under
> terms of your choice, provided that the terms permit modification of
> the work for the customer's own use and reverse engineering for
> debugging such modifications.
>
> This would be unacceptable for most commercial application that are
> released nowadays.

I've never really been into proprietary code, but why is that? As long
as you cannot copy the work, you can only benefit by stealing ideas,
but most programs aren't rocket science anyway. The LGPL seems to be
enforcing fair use, simply.

Besides, what matters is what the copyright holders think, right?
I.e. Murray and co.

> 'Real' commercial licenses have stood up in courts all over the
> world, I know of no cases where the LGPL has been court-tested (GPL
> has been (more or less) found valid in the Netfilter/Sitecom case in
> Germany last year, but that was for the GPL which is much clearer
> than the LGPL).

But that's just FUD. :-)

--
Ole Laursen