Gtk(mm) without X server

I'm looking for a simple way to run gtk(mm) app in console mode without widget
(I don't need frame buffer display). I plan to build an application that can be
both client or server. The server version has to be designed for embedded
application without X server.
I can run my application (with gtk widgets or without) without any problem, but
running it in console mode is not possible (without widgets, of course).

I guess the problem comes from the gtk.main.run() that requires an access to X
events. Is there a way to avoid this problem?

Thank you in advance