Re: [gtkmm] Fedora Core 2

On Friday 10 September 2004 06:24, Robert wrote:

[snip]

> There are about a million other things that cause FC 2 to crash,
> freeze,  or become unusable.  In addition,  it frequently misconfigures
> hardware ... etc.,  etc.,  etc.,  etc.,  etc..  I could go on for a long
> time.  In addition to the instability,  Fedora Core 2 is
> extremely resource intensive.  According to the FC 2 website,  the
> minimum recommended ram for a system with Gnome is 256 MB with 512 MB
> recommended.  I can confirm that this is correct.  My 512 MB system is
> usually very close to exhausting all physical ram,  even though I do
> nothing remarkable.  (A Windows 2000 system doing similar things would
> typically use about 200 MB ram in my experience.)

I have run GNOME in 64MB at a push, and in 128MB of RAM comfortably.

The Fedora website says this:

"Memory Requirements
This section lists the memory required to install Fedora Core 2.

    * Minimum for text-mode: 64MB
    * Minimum for graphical: 192MB
    * Recommended for graphical: 256MB"

As it happens, this makes no reference to Gnome and is probably connected with
other software, such as Open Office or Mozilla (although I would be surprised
if Mozilla required that much).  It certainly must be using something fairly
exotic if 64MB is required for text mode (I have a text mode computer here
running happily with 16MB of RAM doing various background tasks).

I therefore strongly suspect you are talking complete rubbish, but I will
defer to you if you can provide the reference to a minimum recommended amount
of RAM of 256MB and 512MB RAM recommended in order to use GNOME.  URL please?

Chris.