Re: [gtkmm] Abandoning gcc 2.9*?

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:07:04 +0100
Fredrik Arnerup <e97_far e kth se> wrote:
> Gene Ruebsamen <gene erachampion com> writes:
>
> > Someone mentioned earlier that BSD may still require gcc 2.9*
> > support.  Is this still the case?
>
> I believe OpenBSD uses 2.95 for all non-64-bit platforms.

Also NetBSD 1.6.1 (stable) and FreeBSD 4.9 (stable) use GCC 2.95 by their
default compiler. All three BSDs provide GCC 3.3.x/3.2.x via
ports/packages/pkg_src collection.

GCC 3.3.x is the default compiler on NetBSD-current and FreeBSD-current.
OpenBSD-current uses GCC 2.95 (on non-64-bit platforms).

If the GCC 2.9x support is dropped from gtkmm, then one cannot
compile gtkmm on stable release of any BSD without installing
another compiler(GCC 3.[23].x) first.

Having two GCCs on same system is a little bit chaotic since you
need two different versions of C++ libraries, but usually there aren't
too many of them and the amount of management stays reasonable.

> But OpenBSD is mostly used on servers anyway.

Personally I use OpenBSD-current as my primary desktop OS and like
to play with gtkmm as a hobby. I have nothing against dropping the GCC 2.9x
support since on my system gtkmm is compiled using GCC 3.2.3 because my own
C++ code doesn't build with GCC 2.95.

--
Tero Koskinen - tkoskine students cc tut fi