Re: [gtkmm] ANNOUNCE: gtkmm 2.3.3 and glibmm 2.3.4

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 01:07, Murray Cumming wrote:

> > Have the GCC 3.4 API fixes gone in yet?
> What 3.4 fixes? Show me the patches.

I don't have any patches, the API fixes are not within my realm of
knowledge.  You know very well I have never contributed anything of
substance to gtkmm, and as such you should have had no expectation of me
fixing them.

I spent days hunting down the causes of the 3.4 problems and gave you
clear and concise knowledge as to the possible ways to solve these
problems.  If no one had no time, that's one thing, but as far as I know
you haven't even tried to get someone to look at them.  I certainly
haven't seen any messages on the list up to this point.

I don't know how the gtkmm internals work and don't have time to figure
it out.  The overloading lookup issues are architectural issues and I
wouldn't feel competent in making a decision on them for quite a while
even if I did learn about gtkmm internals.  I wouldn't have a clue what
else I might be breaking somewhere.

I already have three projects that I don't have enough time to
contribute to.  I also have several more that would love to take up my
time.  I've contributed patches to you before, when I felt qualified to
do so (for bakery).  When I don't, I'm not going to.  Asking for code
all the time of anyone who reports an issue isn't going to make it
magically appear.  The majority of people already know to contribute
when they can.

If you want to release buggy software you know how to fix and that you
know is just going to cause problems with more compliant compilers, that
might well lead to a flood of useless bug reports and complaints later,
that's your perogative as project leader.  It's not my place to tell you
what to do with gtkmm, as you've obviously been quite competent
technically up to this point.

But the "show me the code" attitude denigrates the work I put into
this.  I hunted the problems down, I asked GCC developers about the
issues, I filed and explained bugs on gtkmm, as well as reporting
upstream issues to GCC so they don't ever bite gtkmm, which involved
reducing lots of test cases.  This took a lot of work.  I'd be happy to
test any fixes.  I've done 90% of the work already on these issues, and
next time I probably won't bother doing 1%.

--
         Matthew Tuck: Software Developer & All-Round Nice Guy
 My Short Autobiography: 1985 Grade Bin Monitor 1990 Class Clown Award