RE: [gtkmm] Just an idea

> From: Greg & Erica Wolski [mailto:gewolski msn com]
> You are right. There are some really cool examples in the
> tarball. Although, not all of them compile (at least in my
> version 2.2.8 (I think)).

Please do report any bugs that you find. The examples build as part of the
source build, so nobody should be able to even install if the examples don't
build.

> Now, my idea was that maybe it would be nice to have a link
> from the API page, let's say MenuBar, to the page with small
> program that shows how to use all the methods.

_All_ the methods? I don't think that would make a very clear example. The
examples should show you how to do the obvious useful things, and that's
what they are meant to do now. I'm happy to have links from the API
reference documentation, to the examples, or to the examples pages in the
book.

There are already links from the book chapters to the API reference and to
the actual example source code.

> (I know that
> MenuBar is covered pretty well in the book; it's just an
> example of my approach). The worst thing to figure out is how
> to connect all those methods; how to put them together in the
> proper syntax. For example: Once I was trying to figure out
> how to "set_active" radio_menu_element. (I don't think
> RadioMenuElem is in the book) The API says that RadioMenuElem
> is a CheckMenuItem that belongs to a group. But how do I
> set_active() those things?

A little googling found me this:

  list_examples.push_back(RadioMenuElem(gr,"RadioItem Example 3");
  static_cast<RadioMenuItem*>(list_examples.back())->set_active();

which I admit is not very pleasant. The new UIManager in gtkmm 2.3 will be
similar, but takes a bool is_active when you create the Radio thingy.

I see that you've asked before, but it really is best to keep asking a
specific question rather than just asking non-specifically for things to be
generally better documented.

murrayc usa net