RE: [gtkmm] gtkmm 2.4 and gcc <3.2

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 07:47, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > From: Morten Brix Pedersen [mailto:morten mbrix dk]
> > * Murray Cumming Comneon com <Murray Cumming Comneon com>
> > [2003-10-21 13:39:12]:
> > > If we use libsigc++ 2 in gtkmm 2.4, this will probably make it
> > > impossible to build it with gcc versions older than 3.2.
> > Does anybody
> > > have a violent objection to that?
> >
> > Users of the stable distribution of Debian, woody, won't be
> > able to use gtkmm 2.4 easily.
>
> This sounds like a serious problem to me. Martin, what do you think about
> that?

Of all the people I know who use Debian, the only ones who even consider
using Debian stable are the ones running it on servers, and those, of
course, rarely even have X installed, let alone GTK+ or gtkmm or any
apps which need them. Is this really a serious problem?

Although I must admit to being a Gentoo user, so I'm not generally
enamoured of Debian's attitude towards stability, and I don't think it
has much of a place on workstations. No doubt some people will disagree,
feel free to argue with me but this list is probably not the place for
it.

Gentoo has a solution whereby you can have gcc 2.95.x and 3.x installed
in parallel... doesn't Debian have an equivalent of this that Woody
users can use to partially switch to unstable? After all, anything based
on gtkmm 2.4 isn't going to make it into Debian stable for ages, is it.

Matthew Walton | matthew alledora co uk Given sufficient time, what you
put off doing today will get done by itself.